Tuesday, August 09, 2005

 
Exodus 28:36
I referred to Exodus 28:36 in my Sunday sermon and since then have given much more thought to the phrase Holy to the Lord. According to the text, these words were engraved on a plate of pure gold and fastened to a turban that Aaron and his descendants wore in their priestly roles.

All us us who have been saved by God's grace are, under the New Covenant, a priestly people (1 Peter 2:5). I think here of the Reformation's emphasis on the priesthood of all believers. Accordingly, Christians--shepherd and sheep alike--are to be characterized by holiness unto the Lord.

The inscription Holy to the Lord was worn on Aaron's forehead. This reminds me that righteous people are to think righteous thoughts! And yet all of us know that the human mind is a battleground; we are constantly assaulted by unrighteous thoughts. Thankfully, however, we are not on our own in the process of sanctification. Through the power of the Holy Spirit and our commitment to not be conformed to the pattern of this world, it is gloriously possible to be transformed by the renewing of our minds (Romans 12:2).

Without a doubt, one of the great needs in our time is for holiness unto the Lord. For myself, I recognize how very far I have to go in the walk of holiness. While I thank God for my positional holiness in Christ, I am painfully aware that conditional holiness is often elusive. I do not always walk the talk; selfishness so often wins out in my life.

I pray for myself, even as I pray for my flock, that our lives would be marked by consecration. Indeed, may the biblical truth of Holy to the Lord characterize us in ever increasing measure ... as we make it our aim to please Him in our thoughts, words, and deeds.


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Web Counter
1800Flowers.com