Thursday, September 15, 2005

 
CHANGE, WHO ME?!
One of my favorite quotations comes from Will Rogers, who once said, "People change, but not much."
The word "change" (or, better yet, "transformation") is an accurate way to sum up the Christian life. As Christians, we are to die to our selfish selves and become more like our selfless Master, Jesus Christ. For myself, I know that I often resist change, especially where my character is concerned. (Am I really any more patient or self-controlled than I was five years ago?) And I know I am not alone! Surely the Lord did not come into this world, die upon a cross, rise from the grave, ascend into heaven and send the Holy Spirit to leave us unchanged.
I have heard it said that the term "status quo" is another way of saying "why we are in the mess we're in!" Imagine what the world and the church would look like if we who bear the name "Christian" actually took the Bible seriously and began to live more like Jesus Christ, who came into this world not to be served but to serve.
"People change, but not much." I wonder if Will Rogers' oxymoron describes your life? It certainly does mine--more often than not, I'm sorry to say. I find it easy to point out how much other people need to change, while clinging to my old attitudes and selfishishness rather than allowing the living Lord to transform my life. Oh, the Christian hypocrisy of singing hymns like "Have Thine Own Way" while living out the lines of Sinatra's song, "I Did it My Way."
In the midst of a self-centered, self-serving culture, the biblical mandate remains: "Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind" (Romans 12:2).
Change, who me?!

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Web Counter
1800Flowers.com