Wednesday, July 19, 2006

 
PASTORAL WORDS

I wish these words were my own, but they are not. They were posted in May of 2005 by R.C. Sproul, Jr., over at his "Highlands Study Center Squiblog." I really resonate with Sproul's pastoral perceptivity and decided to include his words here.

"When a man commits to a flock, he commits to love the sheep. The sheep, on the other hand, tend to think like consumers. You, as the pastor, receive their love, as long as they’re pleased with what and how you’re preaching, with how well you perform your pastoral duties, with the clothes you wear.
But once you fall out of favor, then half the relationship changes. The sheep start looking for greener pastures, while you still must love the sheep. You cry out to them, and they simply reject you. They move on, and your heart is broken. The true pastor is not only the one who can still take the risk by loving those who remain in the flock, and who are added to it, but who can, and will, continue to love those who have fled the flock. It is a high and hard calling. But this is the way of the pastor, the way of the warrior."

Comments:
Now there's some great spin, and R.C.'s timing was just perfect. Wasn't May 2005 around the same time that R.C. Sproul Jr. and the Saint Peter Session ordered the Saint Peter congregation to shun the Austin family? Wasn't that one of the major reasons they wound up being defrocked over? R.C.'s "words" may sound "pastoral" but his actions were NOT. If he were pastoral it's doubtful he'd be defrocked today.
 
Thanks a bunch Karen for posting that link. What an eye opener all that is! For people like me who've been spiritually raped by creeps pretending to be pastors (sounds like R.C. Sproul Jr is one of them) reading these things gives me the chills. It's helpful knowing that I'm not the only one who's lived through that kind of nitemare. It just goes to show what hipocrites some preachers can be. All that talk about loving the sheep. Give me a break! Sure, wolves just love the taste of sheep! There's a really amazing article on that web site that you linked to Karen that talks about exactly the kind of terrible church situation I lived through myself. It's called The Christian Mafia. If you ever see a church like that RUN AWAY AS FAST AS YOU CAN! The damage that churches like that do to people's souls often lasts for years. I know. If my goal had been to have my life ruined I would've just gone and joined the Moonies in the first place.
 
I know nothing of the R.C. Sproul, Jr. situation. I know of the senior Sproul, but have never heard of the younger Sproul. I simply resonated with his words about loving the sheep.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Web Counter
1800Flowers.com