Thursday, October 12, 2006

 
THE HEART OF MINISTRY
Twice a year I receive faculty journals from the seminary I attended. I don't usually spend much time in the journals (they are often quite boring), but one article in the Fall 2006 edition really captured my attention. It is titled "A Map for the Journey." The author, David Johnson, closes his excellent article with these words:

"I would like to say a final word to those pastors who find themselves trying simultaneously to be guardians, resources, and models. You also are seekers, and you will do yourselves and your congregations much harm if you ignore your own search. The prayer of Psalm 27, 'Your face, O Lord, do I seek. Do not hide your face from me,' is the daily prayer of every Christian, including Christians who are among the clergy. This prayer has been answered, is answered, and will be answered every day, for the God we seek has come among us with this promise: 'I am with you always.' That is the heart of your ministry. Everything else is secondary."

Well said. And well worth pondering.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Web Counter
1800Flowers.com